We are now into the hazy days of August here in New York City. The temperature this summer in the city has been rather mild in comparison to some other years. Although that may be the case, the temperatures can be somewhat stifling to some without air conditioning. This is especially true for the elderly and persons that have lost their mobility. Having your air conditioning units running correctly may be a case of life or death for some and doing so correctly should be a priority for property managers as well as landlords.
While we may be in the clear going into August, maybe now is the time to think about servicing your AC units for the next year. Most home central air conditioning units which include a condenser. You may notice this when it is sitting on a pad on the outside of your. Along with the condenser, the evaporator is located on the inside of the premises. The majority of the time, it is the condenser that has the issues that creates turmoil for your tenants. Here are some tips in order to have them run efficiently in the event it stops working:
- Once you have turned off the unit, you can remove the outer case of the condenser in order clean the fins. Because you have four seasons here in New York City, you can potentially have evidence of this in leaves, grass, twigs and garbage that can clog up the fins.
- Lubricate the motor to the fan ports. You can do this by using oil for electric motors. It is easily found in hardware stores.
- Check for evidence of damage to your unit. It is advisable to look for leaks and cracks. Specifally it would be a clear indication of a problem if you see an oil or coolant leak.
With respect to the evaporator you should alway check and replace air filters. It is advisable to replace the filter as follows:
- In a vacation home or single occupant home you should replace the filter every 6-12 months.
- Regular sized home without any pets the filter should be replaced every 90 days. With 1 pet it should be replaced every 60 days and adding an additional pet the time period should be adjusted downward by 50%.
Most people are not knowledgable nor want to put themselves in a position of doing the work to service their AC unit. If that is the case, then hiring a professional HVAC professional to remediate an issues with your unit. If you have rental properties and tenants are complaining about the air conditioning then a respectable New York City property management company can schedule and handle all the issues of your unit so you don’t have to. For more information, you can contact our highly skilled staff of New York City property managers.